How to drive with a Smartphone or workstation using Robot Commander in AP mode
Robot Commander has two versions: One for the Android phone, and one for a workstation. iPhone’s are not currently supported.
To use an Android phone:
- Turn the robot on.
- If you haven’t, install the Robot Commander app on your Android phone. Download it on your phone at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrlandau.robotcmdr.
- Allow at least 1 minute after turning the robot on to allow the robot to boot up. The robot will come up as its own WiFi network. So on the phone, if you go to Settings/WiFi, you should see a WiFi network that looks something like
XXXXcorresponds to 4 hexadecimal digits. Connect to this network. The password is
robotseverywhere. If you cant find robot’s WiFi network, try restarting your robot
- Start the Robot Commander app.
- Enter the address
ubiquityrobot.localin the space to the left of the Connect button. Continue with #6 below.
To use a workstation
Using Robot Commander
- Press any arrow to move the robot. To keep the robot moving, keep pressing or clicking.
- Tap the Microphone to use speech.
- Say, “forward”, “back”, or other commands. There is a list of commands in the menu in the top right corner of the screen. The forward and back and the rotation commands allow you to say how far, for example “forward 3 feet” or “back 5 meters”, or “rotate right 90 degrees”.
- Where there is a lot of competing speech, you can turn on the “wake word” feature, in Settings. When it is on, all commands must be prefaced by the wake word, “robot”.
Robot Commander Commands
- forward, advance, keep going, go ahead, go straight, reverse, back, backward, go back, retreat
- forward/reverse etc., may be followed by meters/centimeters/feet*
- turn right
- turn left
- rotate right (may add “n degrees”)*
- rotate left (may add “n degrees”)*
- turn around
- stop, halt
- faster, speed up
- slower, slow down
- (set) waypoint __ (waypoint name)*
- go to __ (waypoint name)*
- remove waypoint __ (waypoint name)*
- list waypoints*
- again, repeat
- find aeroplane, bicycle, bird, boat, bottle, bus, car, cat, chair, cow, diningtable, dog, horse, motorbike, person, pottedplant, sheep, sofa, train, tvmonitor
* These commands require navigation to be operating. which was described in the section on connecting a workstation.